(HealthDayNews) -- If your voice gets hoarse when you overuse it or when you have a cold, the Center for Voice at Northwestern University suggests how you can treat a croaky voice or prevent its recurrence:
- Drink plenty of water.
- If you smoke, quit and avoid secondhand smoke.
- Avoid yelling, screaming and talking loudly for long periods.
- Don't whisper. It's just as hard on your voice as talking loudly.
- Avoid agents that dehydrate the body, such as alcohol and caffeine.
- Keep your home humidified.
- To keep your throat moist, suck on lozenges, chew gum or gargle with salt water.
- Avoid spicy foods.
Last Updated: Apr-21-2004
-- Felicity Stone